Sunday, October 13, 2013

GO...,GO U...,GO UMASS.., GO U MASS, HEY!!!(3)

Saturday was one of the best days in the marching band season. It was the annual University of Massachusetts Amherst  BAND DAY!! It took place at the one, the only Gillette Stadium in Foxboro, MA.


Source:Me
With practice beginning at 10 am, I knew it would be a long day ahead of me. The theme for this year was the music from the 1971 movie Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. It was one of the best Band Days I have been to. Practice ended around 12:45 in the afternoon, with kickoff at 3:00 pm. By that point I was getting very, very hungry. I knew that there was a Five Guys Burgers and Fries up at Patriots Place. But when I got there, there was a line through the door. I only had a limited amount of time so I went across the mall and saw this place.
Source:Me
I had two of the best slices of Buffalo Chicken Pizza ever. Fresh out of the oven. Oh, it was as Willy Wonka would say "scrumdiddlyumptious."

My lunch hour was over and it was now 1:45, I had fifteen minutes to get ready and get in line for the game.



Source:Me(This is me hurrying up because I was late.)
It was now 2 pm and the line to get in was huge, there were 3,000 band kids from every New England State and New York there just to play some music.
Source:Me(That is just 1/4 of the people waiting to get inside the stadium.)

I got inside and I had one of the best seats in the house.
Source:Me
The game started and UMASS deferred to the second half.
The first quarter ended and it was almost time for the moment of glory. With only 7:35 seconds left in the half, the students made there way down to get ready to go on the field. The half ended and we all looked like mad men trying to get to our spots, then it all started.
Thanks to Jon DiPrima the man who took this video who I think took the best one. He has the right angle and everything.  So thanks again Jon.
Halftime ended, and the game continued. UMASS won the game 17-10 against Miami(OH). And the day was almost complete. It wouldn't be a day if UMASS didn't do their traditional 5th Quarter performance. The show ended and they closed the way the close every show.

Thanks to the person who wasn't named on the youtube channel for taking this video. I have been going to Band Day for five years now, I cried when this came up, they were tears of joy and sadness, knowing it will be the last time I will see the band at Band Day, but also because of how much I have grown, knowing the traditions that the band has. This song shows closure, which I got on Saturday.My Way by Frank Sinatra, is always played at the end of their performances.
  These past five years have been a blast, these are the memories I will take the grave. I knew when I heard this song, I was ending a part of high school, that I always loved.


3 comments:

  1. Wooo! You sound like you had an amazing time. The band outfits look so cool and bright. Maybe you should post up a video of you playing a song :D I would definitely watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can tell you really enjoy band. I sounds like you had a really fun time. I still cannot get over how great your seats were! I especially liked your humor and references to one of my favorate 1970s movie Willy Wonka. Well written. Can't wait to read more from you

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like how passionate you seem to be about band. It looks like you guys had a really great time, and this is clearly something that's important to you. It sounds like a great time.

    ReplyDelete